What is Pediatric Cardiac Surgery?
Paediatric cardiac surgery deals with heart disorders in children. Highly skilled cardiac experts will perform the surgery and follow several medical procedures. The procedures treat complex congenital heart defects in children and new-borns. Repairing heart malfunctions in children is a challenging task and paediatric heart surgeons will perform it with utmost care. Paediatric cardiac surgeons carry out the following responsibilities:
- Perform corrective surgeries for conditions like holes between chambers of the heart, valve problems and abnormal blood vessels
- Repair heart injury
- Correcting other congenital and acquired heart defects
- Heart and lung transplants
Procedure of Paediatric Cardiac Surgery
- While the child is under general anaesthesia, an incision is made via the breastbone. The anaesthesia ensures the child is asleep and hence pain-free.
- The blood is re-routed to a special pump called heart-lung bypass machine with the help of tubes. It gives additional oxygen to the blood and keeps it warm. This allows the blood to be cirulated to other parts of the body while the surgery is being performed on the heart.
- The machine allows the heart to be stopped which makes possible other actions that will repair the heart muscle and other blood vessels. After the procedure is done, the device is removed, and the heart starts beating again. The breastbone and the skin incision are closed.
An incision is made via the breastbone while the child is under general anesthesia. It results in child unconscious and does not feel pain.
Tubes are widely used to re-route the blood by a special pump called heart-lung bypass machine. It gives additional oxygen to the blood and keeps warm blood. Moving through the rest of the body provides major surgery for children. Repairing the heart is the central concept by inserting tubes.
By using the machine, it allows the heart to be stopped. Possible actions will repair the heart muscle itself and involves blood vessels. After the procedure is done, the device is removed, and the heat beat is started again. The breastbone and the skin incision are closed up and repair the heart.